The 49th Annual Patriots Day Parade takes place this Saturday in Laguna Beach, so I'm counting down the Top 5 Patriotic Movies You Can Watch with Your Kids. They're all rated PG!
5. Rocky - Rocky Balboa goes up against Apollo Creed for a shot at the heavyweight boxing title. It happens on the 4th of July in the City of Brotherly Love. An underdog literally fighting to achieve the American dream - a lesson we can all learn from. (Sylvester Stallone, Burgess Meredith, Talia Shire)
4. Top Gun - Maverick, Goose, Iceman... need I say more? Probably not, but I will! The friendship and rivalry between these students at the Navy's fighter weapons school makes it worth seeing alone, but the fighter pilot scenes are awesome. Buckle up! (Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Kelly McGillis, Anthony Edwards, Meg Ryan)
3. Apollo 13 - "Houston, we have a problem." NASA must come up with a way to get the Apollo 13 spacecraft back to Earth safely after something goes seriously wrong. If YOU had a problem, wouldn't you want Tom Hanks on your side trying to save you? (Gary Sinise, Kevin Bacon, Ed Harris, Bill Paxton)
2. Miracle - "Do you believe in miracles?" After seeing this movie, you will. Back in 1980, the U.S. hockey team pulled off one of the greatest upsets in sports history (I always hate that term "upset) used in this way) by beating the Soviet Union 4 to 3. U - S - A!!! U - S - A!!! (Kurt Russell, Patricia Clarkson)
1. National Treasure - Nicolas Cage plays a treasure hunter trying to get rich. He believes the map leading him to the fortune is written in invisible ink on the back of the Declaration of Independence. If you want to get your kids interested in and curious about American history, this is the movie to do it. Just be prepared to answer their questions or find the answers on the internet! (Diane Kruger)